Above is one of my favorite phrases from my favorite football fan of all time – Chelsea Fan. So inspired by him, I’m going to share a few quick details on how we at Viv (and also me personally) keep “doin’ what we doin’ it”… or in other words – “how we keep making our lives & the Viv biz more eco-friendly.”
1) New in-store sticker holders (see pic – we’re ditching the old acrylic brochure holders and now using ones that are made entirely from found/discarded objects – old glass jars, old wine corks – things that were going to be recycled or thrown away, but are now being re-used). 2) New energy star printer – Lexmark 7600 3) I recently bought a 12 pack of Green Forest toilet paper (I know, I know – on the website I said I would never go there, but honestly it’s not that bad. Little rough around the edges, but overall pretty comfy for 100% post-consumer recycled). 4) More standby for my 4yr old laptop (I’ve cleaned up my hard drive a bit so that it doesn’t take 10 minutes to boot up out of standby anymore. End result – I’m putting it in standby more often and using less energy).
I know many of these are small steps, but that’s what we’re all about here. Many small steps = BIG change. (and if any of you have other eco-toliet paper recs I’m now very curious to try new ones… post up a comment!)
Things at Viv are picking up quickly, which is why we have been on a bit of hiatus with the Do You Viv blog. Oops! Our fault. We have been cranking away at work preparing to go after our big summer goals of getting tens of thousands of people stickered and hundreds of locations Viving in SF. As part of that prep, we have kicked off a summer intern program. We have a few solid folks eager to help (some in college, some post-grads), but we are still looking for a few more.
If you know of bright, fun, young folks in San Francisco or the Bay Area that are passionate about the environment and looking for an exciting internship this summer, please send them our way! We have posted the internship description here on the blog and as an online doc. So email us resumes or contact information at Jobs@DoYouViv.com or have the candidate reach us there directly.
Company DescriptionWhat is Viv about: Changing the world by enabling anyone, anywhere to cause real environmental change in the simplest way possible.
How is it done? With STICKERS!!
Take a Viv sticker, slap it on your credit card, and show the sticker when you make a purchase at businesses “that Viv.” Once the businesses have seen enough stickers (typically 25 or 50) they start making eco-friendly changes to their stores.
We believe in three things: 1) Small changes add up – BIG TIME 2) Make doing good simple, and people will do a whole truckload of good 3) Reward businesses for the good they do
We’ve been growing very quickly in our first 4 months post-launch. We have almost 70 businesses running the program in more than 10 neighborhoods across the city of San Francisco. Many of our businesses have already started making eco-friendly changes. We have plans to expand across the country over the next 6 – 18 months and will be looking to open multiple Viv branches in cities and towns during that time.
Lastly, how does Viv sustain itself? We charge our businesses a fee to run the program.
For more detail on Viv, head to www.DoYouViv.com Position Description
As our expansion ramps up, Viv is looking for a few interns to help us dramatically expand our business.
You’ll be working with us during the early stages of the program, which means you’ll have the ability to heavily influence the growth, impact, and direction of Viv.
We’re looking for a few interns who can ideally work with us full-time, but must be able to work a minimum of 20hrs / week for a minimum of 6 weeks. Start and end dates are flexible.
Dependent on our needs and your qualifications / interests, areas of responsibility may include:
Merchant Sales & Acquisition:
1) Develop sticker accepting relationships with small and mid-size retail chains. This will include: pitching businesses on Viv, implementing the program, and managing ongoing relationships. 2) Develop a scalable program which enables consumers to sign-up and manage local businesses that Viv. 3) Manage Viv expansion into new geographies and seed the market by signing up local businesses. Consumer Adoption: Help us get more people stickered and excited about Viving! Develop and design programs which enables Viv to sticker large groups of consumers in a scalable fashion (e.g., partnerships with non-profits for distribution to membership groups) and/or programs which enhance the viral stickering of consumers (e.g., leverage social media to encourage friends to get other friends stickered). Consumer Engagement: Keep folks excited about Viving by managing our social media applications, in-store communications, event planning, and other engagement programs. Public Relations: Help us spread the word about Viv and manage our PR. Web Design & Development: We have a very talented web team which does the build & design work for our site, but we will look for fresh input on generating new
content and building new areas of the site. Other: We’re a fast growing start-up. There’s lots to be done and new things are always coming up.
*Responsibility will be given based on performance and experience. Regardless of experience however, interns will be given as much responsibility as they can handle.
Work Environment & Compensation
Work will be based largely out of our SOMA office in San Francisco, with the opportunity to work in new Bay Area geographies as Viv expands.
The role is currently unpaid, but you will be provided with the following:
- an overall fun experience getting to know a fast-paced start-up and our fantastic team - a strong background from which to apply to paid roles at Viv as they are created
- on the job training & skills development to help you sign-up new Viv businesses
- a letter of recommendation upon successful completion of high-quality work (as requested)
- assistance in an application for school credit (as requested) - an opportunity to change the world in an exciting way
You should be passionate about: – The environment and making a real difference – This is what it’s all about! – using small steps to cause some real environmental change in a big big way. – Working for an exciting and fast moving start-up – We move quick and we like to surprise and excite. You should too. – People: talking to them, working with them, meeting them – This is the essence of the role, in that you’ll be speaking with managers and business owners of all shapes and sizes. – Having fun when you work - We’ve had a blast building Viv thus far and we want to continue working with folks that are outgoing, social, and just generally enjoyable to work with. – Mustaches & very large Cali burritos ;-) – These are 2 things we love (see http://www.doyouviv.com/all_else/). If you’re with us – great! If not (*tear*), we can probably still find some common ground…
You should also have: – Integrity – This is a given, but it’s very important. – Smarts – We like folks who can push us around and get us to think differently about things. We also like folks who are sharp prioritizers and quick decisions makers. Bring your noggen.
Interns must have their own internet accessible computers. Cell phone accessibility is also required and Viv will be able to provide a small stipend for interns as necessary to cover the cost of daytime minutes related to Viv.
About the Team / Founders
There are many folks on the Viv team, but you will likely be working most closely with one of the two founders. The Viv founders draw on a rich variety of loves, institutions, and experiences, including: Stanford GSB, Electronica & Indie Music, University of Pennsylvania – Wharton, Climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro, Northwestern University – McCormick Engineering,experimental poetry, Accenture, Martial Arts, American Express, Facebook, and of course, our families.
If you would like to be considered for an internship with Viv, please submit your resume and cover letter describing your interest and qualifications to Jobs@DoYouViv.com with the words VIV INTERNSHIP
as the subject. Thanks!